The Arizona Musicfest has announced it will be kicking off its season with a fall festival; a four-concert event slated for Oct. 28-Nov. 7 in Scottsdale.
The inaugural Fall Fest is to include Melissa Manchester, Musicfest competition and scholarship winners, two bluegrass bands and The Midtown Men: The original cast of Broadway’s Jersey’s Boys, according to a press release.
The 26th annual Arizona Musicfest Winter Festival opens Jan. 27 with Grammy Award-winning trumpet sensation Chris Botti, and runs through March 10, when Decades of Divas: From Billie to Aretha to Celine and Barbra closes the season.
In between, among the special guests are legendary multiple Grammy Award-winning Manhattan Transfer, vocal powerhouse Cantus, world renowned classical violinist Midori, Kennedy Center honoree Mavis Staples and Grammy winner Patti Austin with The Festival Orchestra celebrating Ella Fitzgerald’s 100th birthday.
The Festival Orchestra is under the direction of Maestro Robert Moody, the release stated.
The Arizona Musicfest attendance has grown from just under 7,000 in 2013 to nearly 16,000 in 2016.
The Fall Fest schedule includes:
- Prolific American singer/songwriter Melissa Manchester
- The Young Musicians Fall Concert
- Bluegrass Duet: Featuring The Lonely Heartstring Band and Mipso
- The Midtown Men: The Original Cast of Broadway’s Jersey Boys, featuring Tony Award winner Christian Hoff, Tony nominee J. Robert Spencer, Michael Longoria and Daniel Reichard
Tickets can be purchased online at www.azmusicfest.org or at the venues.
The Arizona Musicfest Winter Festival’s classical, jazz, bluegrass, Broadway, pop, folk and rock-and-roll tribute-band concerts include:
- Chris Botti (Festival Headliner), Jan. 27
- Young Musicians Winter Concert, Jan. 29
- Mirage: Visions of Fleetwood Mac, Jan. 30
- Nicole Pesce (Arizona Spotlight Artist), Feb. 1
- The Manhattan Transfer, Feb. 3
- Cantus, Feb. 7
- A Band Called Honalee: The ‘60s of Peter, Paul and Mary, Feb. 10
- Kruger Brothers bluegrass trio and Kontras Quartet classical string ensemble, Feb. 13
- A Broadway Romance, Feb. 14
- Bob Moody & Friends with Broadway’s Telly Leung, Feb. 16
- Festival Orchestra Chamber Players: Bach, Mozart & Stravinsky, Feb. 19
- Beethoven’s “Triple” Concerto and Saint Saens’ “Organ” Symphony, Feb. 21
- Midori (Featured Artist) with The Festival Orchestra, Feb. 23
- Ella at 100: The Centennial Celebration featuring Patti Austin with The Festival Orchestra, Feb. 24
- “Italian” Symphony & Opera: Pagliacci in Concert Featuring Stars of the Metropolitan Opera, Feb. 26
- We’ve Only Just Begun: The Carpenters Remembered, March 2
- Mavis Staples (Musicfest Legend), March 6
Visit www.azmusicfest.org for individual locations and ticket prices, or call 480-840-0457.
The Scottsdale Independent is available for free every Wednesday.