A mixture of tears and cheers brought donors, candidates, doctors and survivors together at Talking Stick Resort for the grand finale of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Man & Woman of the Year Campaign.
Ruben Alvarez, managing partner of Molera Alvarez, and Geri Farr, senior vice president and regional manager of Nova Home Loans, earned the titles of 2016 Man and Woman of the Year, respectively. Ms. Farr and and Mr. Alvarez, and their supporting teams, combined to raise more than $222,000 while the collective efforts of all of the candidates produced a record-breaking $668,000.
For the past 10 weeks, 17 men and women worked with passion and purpose in support of the mission of LLS, raising funds through a variety of events and personal efforts. Each dollar raised counted as one ‘vote’ and the votes earned by each candidate and their campaign teams were tallied to determine the Man and Woman of the Year, according to a press release.
“These remarkable men and women not only raised money to invest in life-saving research and patient support, but elevated expectations of what true community leadership is,” stated LLS Arizona Chapter Executive Director Jim Brewer in the release. “This year’s campaign exceeded all of our expectations and financial goals and we are so thankful for everyone who made a contribution.”
2016 Man & Woman of the Year Candidates
- Claire Ackerman, North & Co.
- Ruben Alvarez, Molera Alvarez
- M. Preston Clarke, Arizona Venture Consulting
- Leslie Drolshagen, Vision Community Management
- Cody Faeth, Lickety Split Apps
- Geri Farr, Nova Home Loans
- Alyssa Flores, Worldwide Financial Solutions, LLC
- Sarah Held, HomeSmart Elite Group
- Leslie Himley, High Street
- Jonathan Hyams, Medvibe; Innovative Dining Solutions; Longevity Medical
- Kelly Kerr, Ingram & Co.
- Drew Nadlang, Nadlang Enterprises
- Gianna Negretti, Alliance Residential
- Clint Spotleson, Counter Intuitive
- Alex Tsaninos, Advanced Health Care of Scottsdale
- Dr. Veronica Vital, Chamberlain College of Nursing and the National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- Wayne Warrington, Far Superior Partners, LLC
Proceeds from the Man & Woman of the Year Campaign benefit LLS and directly fund life-saving blood cancer research, financial assistance to cover patient expenses, free educational materials, and events for patients and their families.
The Scottsdale Independent is available for free every Wednesday.