The Scottsdale Police Department has announced several road closures due to the Aug. 5 monsoon storm.
Scottsdale road closures include:
- Jomax Road between Pima and Scottsdale Road
- Happy Valley Road between Pima and Scottsdale Road
- Scottsdale Road between Deer Valley and Happy Valley
The Scottsdale Police Department Tweeted a photo at 11:15 a.m. of vehicles abandoned in the wash.
“Don’t drive through flooded washes,” the Tweet reads.
Jomax and 82nd St. Vehicles left in the wash. Occupants safely removed. Don’t drive through flooded washes. pic.twitter.com/P4zULbLXT4
— ScottsdalePD (@ScottsdalePD) August 5, 2016
Sand and sand bags are available 24 hours a day for Scottsdale residents on a first-come, first-served basis through at three locations:
- Near the city’s north Corporation Yard, 9379 E. San Salvador.
- Near District 1 Police Headquarters, 7601 E. McKellips Road.
- Solid Waste Transfer Station, 8417 E. Union Hills Drive.
Shovels and bags will be provided by the city, but residents are required to fill their own bags.
- There is a limit of 10 bags per household.
- Because of limited supplies, residents are encouraged to bring their own sand bags to fill.
- Bags are available at most large home improvement stores.
- Sandbags are most effective when placed in front of entry points
- Fill the bags one-half to two-thirds full. The bag should lie fairly flat when filled.
If the locations above are out of either sand or bags, call 480-312-5000 to request resupplies.
- Don’t travel in heavy rain unless you have to. Obey all signs and avoid low-lying areas. Do not cross running water. More car safety tips are available here: www.ready.gov/car.
- Call ahead if planning to use city parks, preserve and recreation areas. The city’s call center at 480-312-3111 will have closure information.
- In Scottsdale, heavy rains can cause the Indian Bend Wash to fill with water and close unbridged cross streets. Always obey traffic signs and do not try to cross running water or flooded areas. Unbridged Indian Bend Wash crossings include:
- Roosevelt from Miller to Hayden roads
- Osborn Road
- Murray Lane
- Oak Street at 77th Street
- Medlock Drive at Hayden Road
- Starlight Way at Hayden
- Jackrabbit Road at Hayden
- Pecos Lane at Hayden
- Safeway Plaza entrance, at Hayden, north of Chaparral Road
- Other flood-prone streets include:
- 87th Street, south of Thomas Road
- 84th Place, north of Roosevelt Street
- Granite Reef Road, south of Roosevelt
- Gail Road at 83rd Place
- Scottsdale Road, north of Loop 101 Freeway
- Pima Road, north of Pinnacle Peak Road
The Scottsdale Independent is available for free every Wednesday.