Registration is filling up for the Run for Ryan House at DC Ranch on Saturday, March 7.
The event features four elements: a Half Marathon, 10K and 5K runs; and 1-Mile Family Fun Run.
The event is a family-friendly running festival to benefit children and families served by Ryan House, a phoenix-based nonprofit that is unique to the region and one that provides respite and palliative care in a home-like setting to children with life-threatening conditions and, as needed, end-of-life care.
Those who are running or walking in any of the four event elements—and even people not participating in the event—can create an individual or team fundraising page to support Ryan House.
“DC Ranch is a compassionate community and many of our residents have a personal tie to Ryan House,” said DC Ranch Community Council Executive Director Christine Irish. “The run supports a very special organization, and it also supports health, fitness and the unique DC Ranch lifestyle.”
The 2015 Run for Ryan House at DC Ranch features:
- 5K, 10K and Half Marathon challenging, scenic courses.
- Chronotrack timing, which features a disposable chip that will accurately record your individual time from when you cross the start line to when you cross the finish line.
- Technical sports shirts for all registered runners in the Half Marathon.
- Commemorative cotton T-shirts for all registered participants in the 5K and 10K.
- 5 Aid stations along the course.
- Pre-Race Expo and packet pickup on Friday, March 6, from noon to 6 p.m. at The Homestead Community Center in DC Ranch.
The mission of Ryan House is to provide respite and palliative care to children with life-threatening conditions and, as needed, end-of-life care.
All services at Ryan House are guided by the principles of palliative care. This philosophy of comfort care addresses not only physical pain but also the emotional, spiritual and social needs of the child and family. Ryan House is an Arizona 501(c)3 nonprofit that was established in 2004.
Ryan House opened in spring 2010 with eight children’s bedrooms, three family suites, an outdoor playground, art, music, sensory and hydrotherapy rooms.
For more information visit www.ryanhouse.org.
The Scottsdale Independent is available for free every Wednesday.