Scottsdale school board pushes off teacher classification conversation

susd-governing-board-sign

The Scottsdale Unified School District Governing Board amended its Oct. 18 meeting agenda to table the teacher classification framework revisions conversation until a later date.

During an Oct. 6 study session the Governing Board was presented with an initial review of the system by Assistant Superintendent of Personnel and Specialized Services, Dr. Pam Sitton.

The item was previously scheduled on the Governing Board’s consent agenda for the Oct. 18 meeting, but was pulled the day before, according to the notice of amendment.

“More details are needed to consider and be understood regarding the impact to teachers and how performance metrics might be formulated,” said Governing Board President Bonnie Sneed in a prepared statement.

“We did begin the discussion during the info/discussion section. This should help initiate dialog among stakeholders surrounding potential financial implications to teachers.”

The new teacher classification proposal would alter the way the district classifies its teachers. Today, the system filters teachers into two groups:

Teachers in group A were categorized based on a teacher evaluation worth 65 percent; growth based pre- and post-tests worth 33 percent; and a district letter grade worth 2 percent.

Teachers in group B were categorized based on a teacher evaluation worth 65 percent; a district letter grade worth 33 percent; and parent satisfaction survey results worth 2 percent.

Following meetings with the Teacher Evaluation Committee and the Principal Evaluation Committee, the groups are proposing getting rid of the pre- and post-tests, including the district letter grade as part of the teacher evaluation, and using school-wide data based on AzMERIT tests.

This would classify every teacher as a “B” teacher, explained Dr. Sitton.

The classification would now be: evaluation is worth 67 percent; and the school-wide AzMERIT data would result for the other 33 percent.

Northeast Valley News Services Editor Melissa Fittro can be e-mailed at mfittro@newszap.com or can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/melissafittro.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.