Running car in garage leads to 2 victims, 1 dog with CO exposure

Scottsdale Fire Department employees on the scene of the hazmat scene on April 18. (photos by Scottsdale Fire Department)

Scottsdale Fire Department employees on the scene of the hazmat scene on April 18. (photos by Scottsdale Fire Department)

The Scottsdale Fire Department responded to the scene of a hazardous situation at a single-family residence on the evening of April 18, where two victims and one dog were effected by Carbon Monoxide, due to a vehicle left running in the garage, according to officials.

A 27-year-old female patient and a dog were both found unconscious in the house, and one male patient was also being evaluated for Carbon Monoxide exposure.

Both patients were transported by Scottsdale paramedics to a local hospital, and the dog was transported by Scottsdale Fire, with a firefighter, to a 24-hour emergency veterinarian, according to officials.

Scottsdale Fire Department hazardous materials crew performed atmospheric monitoring for the dangerous asphyxiant.  Carbon monoxide will displace oxygen in the blood stream. Short-term exposure could cause neurological deficits up to, and including, death if medical treatment is not sought, according to Scottsdale Fire officials.

The Scottsdale Independent is published monthly and mailed to 75,000 homes and businesses in Scottsdale.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.